Slime 101: Everything About This Fun & Trendy Substance
Gooey, slimy, and oh-so-satisfying slime has taken the world by storm!
Whether you're a budding scientist or just a parent looking for a fun activity for your kid, it's easy to keep slime on the top.
There are many slime stores that you can visit to find the perfect slime for you.
But what exactly is slime, and what are its main ingredients?
First things first, slime is a non-Newtonian fluid, which means it can act like a solid and a liquid at the same time.
Its viscosity is not constant, as it changes depending on the stress or forces applied to it.
In this article, we will share everything (we mean - EVERYTHING) you need to know about slime.
So, let's get started.
Turning school glue...into gold (not literally)
To create it, you'll need some basic ingredients; however, at Smash Slime Shop, we use:
- school glue (or polyvinyl acetate, aka PVA),
- slime activator (diluted borax)
- fragrance oil,
- food-safe colouring,
- and craft clay.
There is a growing trend of "slime shops" where people can buy handmade slime (which is the best) in various colours and textures.
Once you have your slime, the fun truly begins!
You can stretch it, squish it, cut it, and play with it however you like.
You can also add glitter, confetti, and other decorations to give it an extra special touch.
Fun facts about slime!
- Slime was invented in 1976!!! Yeap. By Mattel for their toy line, The Amazing Slime!
- When the first slime was patented, it was called "Flubber", which was later used in the Disney movie "The Absent-Minded Professor."
- There are competitions and Slime conventions where people can showcase their slime-making skills and win prizes.
- The slime craze has led to the creation of various slime-themed games, YouTube channels, and Instagram accounts as well.
- The slime trend has also led to the creation of various slime-making kits, which include everything you need to create your own slime at home or to buy from slime shops.
Slime can be the key to improving mental health
Ok, maybe this is an overstatement, but there are indeed some benefits of this fun toy.
Slime may seem like just a fun toy, but it's actually an incredibly powerful tool for improving mental health.
- Offers a calming effect
- Introduces basic chemistry
- Stimulates the senses
- Decreases anxiety
- Improves motor skills
- Promotes increased focus (for ADHD)
- Helps release tension
- Increases creativity
- It's not only for kids
- All about that ASMR
It's a tactile, sensory experience that can help those with anxiety and depression manage their emotions and reduce stress.
Slime's unique texture and slimy feel can be used to ground users and help them focus on the present moment.
The calming, repetitive motions of stretching, squishing, and squeezing slime can help ease the tension and stiffness of anxiety and create a sense of relaxation.
Slime can also be used as a distraction from intrusive thoughts and worries.
Having something tactile to focus on can help to refocus the mind and bring it back to the present.
Slime can also be used as a therapeutic tool to help process difficult emotions. By squeezing and stretching the slime, it can be used to safely express feelings of anger, fear, sadness, or other intense emotions.
This can be especially helpful for those who might not be able to articulate their feelings in words. Slime is also a great way to engage in creative activities and can be used to create art and sculptures.
This can help improve mental focus, problem-solving skills, and creativity. It can also be a great way to break up monotonous tasks, like studying or doing household chores, by adding a fun and creative element.
Finally, slime can be a great way to practice mindfulness. Mindfulness can then help users stay present and focused, as well as help to build patience and concentration, especially for those with ADHD.
Additionally, the act of squeezing and manipulating slime can be a form of fidgeting, which can help to improve focus and concentration, as this research suggests.
Don't mistake fidget toys for fidget spinners.
Fidget toys are a broad category of small, handheld items that can be used for fidgeting and sensory play.
They are more versatile and diverse than fidget spinners; they can be used in different ways, squeezed, stretched, twisted, bent, etc., while fidget spinners are limited to spinning.
Fidget spinners, on the other hand, are a specific type of fidget toy that is designed to be spun between the fingers. They typically consist of a central bearing with three arms that can be flicked to make the spinner spin.
Fidget toys are generally considered more discreet than fidget spinners, which can be loud (big NO) and draw attention.
Fidget spinners have become less popular in recent years, but fidget toys continue to be popular and widely available.
Both fidget toys and fidget spinners can be used to help with focus and concentration, relieve stress and anxiety, and provide a sense of comfort and calm.
However, fidget toys offer more variety of ways to be played with and can be used in more situations.
Different types of slime from our slime Australia shop for extra fun:
- Bingsu Slime: This type of slime is inspired by the popular Korean dessert "bingsu", which is a shaved ice treat. Bingsu slime is typically made with a clear slime base and is filled with colourful beads or sprinkles. It can be scented to resemble the flavours of bingsu, such as strawberry or matcha.
- Butter Slime: Butter slime is a type of slime that has a soft and smooth texture, similar to that of butter (obviously). It can be stretched and squished without breaking apart, providing a satisfying and tactile experience.
- Clear Slime: Clear slime is a type of slime that is transparent or translucent in appearance (....in a way, as we love colours). This is usually sold out.
- Cloud Slime: Cloud slime is a type of slime that is made to resemble the appearance of a cloud. It is typically made with a white slime base and is filled with a fluffy substance. It can also be scented to have a "cloudy" smell, such as "unicorn dreams", "fairy bread", "fairy floss," etc.
Overall, these slime types are meant to be fun, creative and inspiring; they can be used for different purposes like stress relief, sensory play, and DIY projects.
Don't let your slime lose its squish!
Slime can lose its texture and consistency over time (oh no!), but you can take some simple steps to keep your slime feeling soft, stretchy and fun to play with.
Here are some tips for maintaining the texture and consistency of your slime:
Keep your slime in an airtight container: This will help to keep it from drying out and losing its texture.
Store your slime in a cool, dry place: Avoid storing your slime in direct sunlight or in a humid area, as this can cause it to lose its texture and become sticky.
Handle your slime gently: Avoid squeezing or squishing your slime too much, as this can cause it to lose its texture and become hard.
Keep your slime away from water: Water can cause the slime to lose its consistency and become watery.
Add activator to the slime if it becomes too hard: If your slime is becoming hard, you can add a small amount of slime activator, it will bring it back to its original consistency. At Smash Slime Australia, we provide it with every order you make.
Keep your slime clean and sanitized: Clean your hands and the surface you are playing with before handling your slime to prevent bacteria and mould growth, which can cause the slime to lose its texture and consistency.
In conclusion, slime is an incredibly versatile, fun and trendy substance with endless possibilities!
The possibilities for creativity are endless, with many types of slime available from our slime Australia shop.
In general, slime is a fun, creative and engaging substance that can be used for various purposes; it's a great way to relieve stress, explore and learn new things, and create and bond with others.
Whether you're a kid or an adult, there's something for everyone to enjoy with slime.